So after much swearing, guessing, double-guessing, faking, ripping and knitting, I have two sets of warm hand gear for next winter.
The gloves were the real pain. The yarns I got for them, the black is a smaller gauge than the color, regardless of the fact they have the same specs and are from the same company. Also, a smaller gauge overall than the pattern called for, so they came out small, smaller even than I anticipated. I made some customizing changes and they're decent now, if a little tight. I'm hoping some blocking will help even out the gauge differences in both mittens and gloves. I'd made a second pair of gloves from the same pattern, but I used a different method of twining the two yarns that made them come out even *smaller*, so those got scrapped and the yarn recycled into the mittens instead.
The mittens are based off the glove pattern for the cuff and basic stitch count, but I was really just making it up as I went. The patterns are selected from some historic Islamic patterns printed in the Tournaments Illuminated issue 165. The author of that article happens to be on my Historic_knit list too (yay!) so the patterns are there too.
I just wanted to make some cool handwear in a faux Fair Isle style. These aren't *exactly* what I had in mind, but I'm totally digging them. If blocking doesn't solve the size issues, these may end up in the Warm Hands/Warm Hearts bin at work in November, on the theory that some elderly person will have smaller hands than me. Why, yes I would just give away these cool knits to random strangers. Since making them is 99% of the fun, I'd just have a reason to make more stuff! ANd they really don't take all that long to make; the span of time was probably a month each, but the actual working time was closer to 10-20 hours a pair, max. Once you get the rhythm, this stuff goes fairly quickly.
And now, on to the next project!